I have seen different variations of this recipe over the years but I have really come to love this one. Remember you are not locked in to the vegetables I chose. Feel free to substitute with your favorites.
*Avoid to many frozen vegetables because they hold to much liquid.
- 1 organic cage free egg, beaten
- 1 16oz container ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 5oz package fresh baby spinach coarsely chopped
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 can (28oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 T. Dried Italian seasoning
- 15 whole wheat lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Combine eggs, ricotta, feta spinach, mushrooms, and zucchini in a large bowl.
- Combine canned tomatoes with their juice, garlic, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper in a medium bowl.
- Generously coat crock-pot with cooking spray.
- Spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce in slow cooker.
- Arrange 5 noodles over the sauce overlapping.
- Spread 1/2 ricotta vegetable mixture over noodles, pressing firmly down.
- Then spoon 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce over cheese mixture and top with 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/2 Parmesan.
- Repeat the same layering process one more time.
- Top the third layer with noodles and remaining sauce, DO NOT top third layer with cheese.
- Place the remaining 1 cup mozzarella in the refrigerator.
- Cook on high 2 hours or low 4 hours.
- When done turn off crock pot and sprinkle with reserved mozzarella cheese, cover and let stand 10 minutes to melt the cheese.