Simple Crock Pot Split Pea Soup
I love homemade split pea soup! I have found that the recipes can be salty and high in fat when you make them on the stove. Using the crock pot fixes that and you are left with the same great flavor.
- 1 (16 oz.) pkg. dried green split peas, rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups diced ham
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 ribs of celery plus leaves, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 3 tsp salt (be careful with salt in the slow cooker, you can always add later)
- 2 tsp. fresh pepper
- 6 cups hot water
- Layer all ingredients in the crock pot as listed.
- Pour in water.
- DO NOT STIR.
- Cook on High 4-5 hours or Low 8-10 hours (I like how it comes out better on Low)
- To serve remove bay leaf and mash peas to thicken.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin