Tomato soup does not need to be from the can. Here is a simple homemade recipe! If you are watching calories you can omit the cream and it will still be awesome!
Top with a tablespoon of fresh pesto for a zesty twist.
- 1 (14-ounce) can chopped fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T. unsalted butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a soup pot, heat olive oil and butter over medium-low heat.
- Add the celery, carrot, onion and garlic, cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the roasted chopped canned tomatoes with the juice, chicken broth, bay leaf and butter.
- Simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add basil and cream.
- Puree with a hand held immersion blender or place in food processor, blend until smooth.