As a kid I used to LOVE Hamburger Helper Stroganoff. I decided to come up with a quick, easy, and healthy way to duplicate this childhood favorite!!
- 1 pkg (12oz) whole wheat egg noodles, cooked
- 1 T. unsalted butter
- 1 T. Olive oil
- 1lb ground turkey (Ground beef can be used)
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups fresh button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tsp coarse black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt (you may need to season with a little more salt when done)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 cups organic low sodium chicken broth (if using ground beef, use beef broth)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup daisy sour cream
- 1 T. dried parsley
- Cook noodles as directed.
- In a large sauce pan add butter, oil, ground turkey, and onions.
- Saute until turkey is browned and onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add in mushrooms, pepper, salt, garlic, and onion powder.
- Continue cooking until turkey is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, cover and simmer on low 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine water and 2 tbsp cornstarch, whisking well to make the thickener, make sure there are no lumps.
- Remove lid and gradually stir cornstarch thickener into the ground turkey.
- Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and stir in sour cream and crushed dry parsley.
- Stir in cooked noodles, coat well and serve.