These are a few of my tips for healthy, affordable grocery shopping.
- Always arm yourself with a list prior to going to the grocery store. This cuts down on the expensive add on sales when you are trying to put dinner together on what “looks” good. The store is hoping we come unprepared. They LOVE to help us decide what to have.
- Always eat FIRST. Never go to the grocery store hungry. We all have done it and know why it is not a good idea.
- Shop primarily on the perimeter of the store. This is where your whole foods hang out. You will be surprised how much money you can save by doing this.
- Do not get caught up on buying only what you have coupons for. Generally speaking these are over-processed highly packaged items.
- Think outside of the meat case when it comes to Protein. Remember to include eggs, peanut butter, and beans. All of these proteins are much more wallet friendly.
- Buy produce “in season” because that is when it is most affordable and most flavorful. When produce is in season it is harvested when it is closer to being ripe. If you want berries in the Winter you are going to pay 3x because you are paying for them to be transported from half way around the world.