Jennifer Corbett graduated from Azusa Pacific University with a Bachelors of Science in Nursing. She has worked in the medical field for almost twenty years with a specialty in women’s health and pediatrics. She has furthered her education in the field of nutrition and its effect on the body and chronic illness. She has been married to a wonderful man and her best friend for almost 12 years and they are raising two beautiful boys in the beautiful Sierra Mountains of California. As a family they live their life in a way that encourages physical and emotional health for all members. When Jenn is not working at home or at the hospital she spends her time teaching physical education to first graders at Oakhurst Elementary School. She is the founder and director of Kids Fit, a physical and nutritional education program designed specifically for the children at the Oakhurst Boys and Girls Club. Jenn is currently the author of a Nutrition Newsletter that is circulated monthly to more than 6000 homes through seven different school districts and educational facilities. Her passion is to influence the way our world eats and looks at food. Her desire is to use this platform to educate and empower readers to live their best life. She also wants to share her knowledge of the body and medicine to answer questions regarding all types of health and wellness.
Philosophy: REAL FOOD LIVING
My nutrition philosophy is very simple. I believe we are meant to eat “REAL” food, that is recognizable to our ancestors hundreds of years ago. I believe that the amount of processed and fast food we consume is the key component to the healthcare crisis our country is facing today. I do not believe in dieting, denying oneself, or restriction of certain food groups. I believe if you are eating real food, those things mentioned are not necessary. When we cleanse our diet of the processed foods and chemicals and begin to exercise, achievement of your body’s ideal weight WILL happen. There is no magic formula and no magic pill. Your ideal body comes from dedication to your goals and hard work.
- More that 90% of the chronic diseases that are killing us today are 100% preventable.
- I believe that the way we eat directly effects how we and our children function everyday.
- Our society’s new way of eating is not only killing us but it is killing our children.
- Obesity has become the number one health threat to our nation.
I have a few food rules that my family and I follow on a daily basis. Many of them were derived from Michael Pollan’s book, Food Rules but some of them I discovered while on my initial journey to REAL food living.
- Try to eat “Real” food. Limit processed foods whenever possible.
- Avoid ALL products that contain partially hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup.
- If food won’t go bad, you should not eat it.
- If I buy something that is packaged it needs to have less than 6 ingredients.
- I must be able to purchase those 6 ingredients in the supermarket where I am buying the above mentioned packaged item.
- If your great-grandmother wouldn’t recognize it you probably shouldn’t eat it.
- Save white sugar for treats and special occasions. They should be a luxury not an expectation.
- Eat out occasionally and try to limit fast food.
- Know what fruits and vegetables you should buy organic.
- Grass fed beef, free range chicken, and fresh fish/shrimp.
- We add in vegetarian meals either for lunch or dinner a few times a week.
- Lots of whole grains, very limited white pasta/rice/breads.
- Avoid synthetic anything, especially sugar (sweet and low, Splenda, equal).
- When dishing food out on a plate, meat should be a side dish NOT the main course.
- If it comes with excess packaging there is a good chance you should not eat it. (Ex. Fruit Roll-up).
- Make a conscience decision with EVERY food item you put in your mouth.