When I decided to cut processed foods out of our diet it cut many of the foods my kids had grown to love. I had to develop new healthier options that the kids would enjoy. This is my recipe for homemade mac & cheese. This mac & cheese is so easy you can make it from scratch in the same time you could make the “boxed” stuff. You will wonder why you haven’t been making it from scratch all along.
If you want this to be a dinner for the whole family you can stir in broccoli or diced ham. Add to a 13x9 casserole dish, sprinkle with cheese and bake at 350 until cheese on-top in browned, about 15min.
If you make this, send me a comment I would love your input! Also if you use different mix-ins let me know!
- 1/2 box(14oz box) med. shell pasta,whole wheat
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour (wheat flour does work as well)
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Do not over cook.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Gradually whisk flour into melted butter until smooth; cook whisking constantly about 1 min. Gradually whisk in milk and next four ingredients; whisk constantly for about 8 minutes or until thickened.
- Turn heat to low once thickened.
- Gradually whisk in cheese, stirring until cheese is completely melted and creamy.
- Pour over hot, cooked, drained pasta and stir to coat.