About a year ago I found a great recipe for homemade granola bars. There are very few granola bars out there that you can buy off of the shelf that are not overly processed. It was great to find a recipe that sounded good and was easy. Then wouldn't you know it, I shot myself in the foot when I made homemade bars because all my boys loved them! They now preferred them. Ugh!
This month in fitness magazine they published a yummy recipe for "Oh-So-Good" Granola Bars. It is very close to the one I have been making but BETTER!
- 1 cup quick cook oats
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup grape-nuts
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup honey (Real)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar (I like Dark)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-(16oz) pkg dried fruit bits (your choice)
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup dark-chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325*
- Line 8x8in pan with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine oats, flour, flaxseed, grape-nuts, and ginger.
- Add egg, applesauce, honey, brown sugar,and oil; mix well. Stir in fruit bits, sunflower seeds, pecans, and chocolate chips.
- Spread mixture evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake 30-35min or until lightly browned on the edges.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- When ready to cut remove from pan by lifting from the foil edges.