Southern Green Bean Casserole
- Fried Onions:
- 2 large onions sliced
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup ﬂour
- canola oil for frying
- Green Beans and Sauce:
- 2 pounds green beans , ends trimmed, and halved
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound white button mushrooms , chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste (1/2-3/4 tsp)
- 3 tablespoons all purpose ﬂour
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Fried Onions:
- Soak sliced onions in milk for 5 minutes, Heat canola oil in the pan about 1 inch deep.
- Remove onions from the milk with a fork and coat with ﬂour, shaking off excess.
- Quick fry, coated onions in hot oil until browned, remove to paper towel to drain.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large stock pot bring 4 quarts of water to a boil, add a pinch of salt, Add green beans.
- Cook beans until crisp-tender, about 6 minutes.
- Drain beans in colander and plunge immediately into ice water to stop cooking.
- Spread beans on paper-towel-lined baking sheet to drain.
- Add butter to large saute pan, melt.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; cook mushrooms until most liquid is gone and mushrooms are tender , about 6 minutes.
- Add ﬂour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in broth and bring to simmer, stirring constantly.
- Add cream, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until sauce is thickened and reduced to 3 1/2 cups, about 12 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once sauce is done add prepared green beans to sauce and stir until evenly coated.
- Arrange in even layer in 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with fried onion topping and bake until top is golden brown and sauce is bubbling around edges, about 15 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin