This is the best homemade caramel sauce I have ever had. You have gotta love the Barefoot Contessa. I am a huge fan!! Forget that crappy jar sauce. This is so worth the 15 minutes it takes to make it.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Mix the water and sugar in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Cover and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Increase the heat and boil uncovered until the sugar turns a medium brown, about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Watch it carefully at the end, as it will go from caramel to burnt very quickly.
- Stand back to avoid splattering, and gradually add the cream and the vanilla extract.
- Simmer until the caramel dissolves and the sauce is smooth and thick, about 2 minutes.
- Serve warm, or add another 1/4 cup of heavy cream and serve room temperature.