Vegetable and Cornbread Pot Pie
A creamy medley of veggies and cornbread!
- 2T. unsalted butter
- 2T. olive oil
- 3 cups red potatoes, diced and peeled
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1 T. thyme
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 T. flour
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 1/2 cups organic low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 T. baking powder
- 1 1/2 T. organic cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup low fat milk
- 1 large organic egg
- 2T. canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- For Filling: Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat; add oil.
- Add potatoes and cook for about 2 minutes, then add the next 7 ingredients (through thyme) and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low; add flour to vegetables and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in milk and broth, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, add salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, peas, corn and green beans and simmer 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Combine well with a whisk.
- In a separate small bowl, mix egg, milk and canola oil until well combined.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Slowly spoon the batter evenly over the filling.
- Bake until the top is golden brown, about 22 to 25 minutes.