Vegetable and Herb Meatloaf
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup marinara (seasoned with Italian seasoning)
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 (10oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained.
- 1/2 cup uncooked regular oats
- 2 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 large organic egg, beaten
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Additional marinara sauce or parmesan cheese for topping
- Preheat oven to 350’.
- Sauté onion and garlic in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 3 minutes.
- Add carrots, and sauté 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is tender; cool slightly.
- Combine onion mixture, 1/2 cup pasta sauce, turkey, and next 6 ingredients in a large bowl until blended, Using your hands is best.
- Shape mixture into a 10- x 5-inch loaf.
- Coat loaf pan with cooking spray and add meat loaf to the pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
- Spread remaining 1/2 cup pasta sauce over loaf, and bake 10 to 15 more minutes or until a thermometer inserted into thickest portion registers 155°.
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil, and let stand 10 minutes.
- Serve with additional pasta sauce and a little parmesan cheese, if desired.